Houdini and David Blane should take note if RIM is able to shake off the shackles of failure and missed opportunities. For a company that in essense fumbled the future and almost an enterprise market that others still have not been able to claim RIM still has a shot. But they absolutely cannot afford to fail even in the least little bit.
To get back in the game RIM is going to have to do the near impossible:
- Come up with much improved devices
- Capture a critical mass of developers and app builders
- Develop an OS platform superior to iOS, Android etc.
- Find deep pocket investors and partners willing to go all in
- Develop marketing campaigns that win users over
- Convince analysts that there is still life left in RIM
- Design devices that excel beyond all others
True, these are significantly huge challenges that seem insurmountable at first and second glance.
My good friend Ron Jones used to say “nobody has a monopoly on brains”.
Yes, RIM can still pull themselves out of the hole they have dug for themselves with healthy doses of genius, innovation and brains. It will be very interesting and instructive to see just how they will attempt to do it, if they still can. RIM the ball is in your court. Time for a 30 footer at the buzzer.